March 18, 2006

It's the little things.

I have been knitting two afghans. Yes you may call me crazy. I am in one for the long haul. It's going to be for me or perhaps my niece.

afghan yarn

I chose acrylic yarn, Caron Simply Soft, because it is really soft and inexpensive. I don't want to make anything with a fancier yarn since we have cats and children. I need it to be durable and easy to clean. I will post photos of it as soon as I take them. It does have a moss stitch border and stockinette with knot stitches throuhout. I have only begun the pattern. Which I worked out all on my own. It took me ages to get through the border.

knot stitch

The other afghan is child sized of Bernat Baby Boucle, I think, bought with coupons! I am making it for the niece and her dolls. It was going to be smaller but I might as well make it bigger. It would be good for in the car or at daycare, if I finish it before she starts kindergarten in the summer. The yarn works up into this baby soft thick blanket, that even I want to cuddle up in. It is pink, purple and blue, so it goes with all the dolls. I vow never to work with boucle again. It just wants to stick to the needles. The pattern I am using is like Grandma's Favorite Dishcloth. I have seen a baby blanket with the same pattern although the border was 5 stitches and mine is just 2. Why learn a "new" pattern? It lays flat and has barely there eyelets.

old denim fiesta

I did manage to pick up two colors of cotton yarn for some more facecloths.
I need it to distract me with instant knitting gratification while knitting blankets to cover the world. I normally use Sugar'n Cream but at Wal-Mart (ugh) they had Peaches & Creme. Which sounds even better than Sugar! I had a choice of white, ecru, and the two I bought. I was eyeing a lime and white ombre but they were all out. I wanted some color for the Spring. It seems I have bad timing for these things. I was about to say screw it and drop into AC Moore or Michael's or anywhere, where the selection is vast, always full and on sale. I have named them as well. They only come with lot numbers. They are Denim and Fiesta. Yes, I know, very deceiving.

*Well wouldn't you know it, there is a name and I got them both right. I tell you I have seen too much yarn.



3 Comments:

Blogger michelĂ­n amarillo, ave migratoria said...

I like lot "la lana".
Good pictures !

Smiles for you.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.crochetpartners.org/Recycling/contest/0344.html

I thought you might enjoy site -- Hope you are well.

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yes. I need to get a blogger account.
P. (paul, southern cal)
So as not to send anonymous message.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home